Thursday, August 26, 2010

The Blind Boy

Disillusioned by life

with good reason to frown,

For the world was intent

on dragging me down.

And if that weren't enough

to ruin my day,

A young boy out of breath

approached me,

all tired from play.

He stood right before me

with his head tilted down and

said with great excitement,

"Look what I found!"

In his hand was a flower

what a pitiful sight,

With its petals all worn

- not enough rain,

or too little light.

Wanting him to take his dead
flower and go off to play,
I faked a small smile and
then shifted away.

But instead of retreating
he sat next to my side and
placed the flower to his nose
and declared with surprise,

"It sure smells pretty
and it's beautiful too.
That's why I picked it.
Here, it's for you."

The weed before me was
dying...or dead.
Not vibrant of colors,
orange, yellow or red.

But I knew I must take it,
or he might never leave.
So I reached for the flower and
replied, "Just what I need."

But instead of him placing
the flower in my hand,
He held it mid-air
without reason or plan.

It was then that I noticed
for the very first time, that
weed-toting boy could not see:
he was blind.

I heard my voice quiver,
tears shone like the sun
As I thanked him for
picking the very best one.

"You're welcome," he smiled,
and then ran off to play,
Unaware of the impact
he'd had on my day.

I sat there and wondered
how he managed to see
A self-pitying woman
beneath an old willow tree.

How did he know of
my self-indulged plight?
Perhaps from his heart he'd
been blessed with true sight.

Through the eyes of a blind
child, at last I could see the
problem was not with the world
the problem was me.

And for all of those times
I myself had been blind, I vowed
to see the beauty in life, and
appreciate every second that's mine.

And then I held that wilted flower
up to my nose
And breathed in the fragrance
of a beautiful Rose

And smiled as I watched
that young boy,
another weed in his hand
About to change the life
of an unsuspecting old man


from

http://www.lifeofhope.com/theblindboy.htm

0 comments:

Post a Comment